Sunday 20 July 2014

A Murder of Crows


Recently I've been working on a commissioned feature for a magazine - a miniature scene in which the central focus is a scarecrow. A relatively quick job I thought, as I unpacked a tidy selection of materials including armature wire, raffia and air dry clay... of course it's 10 days later and I'm now wading through a mass of black feathers, gauze and superglue.

I managed to take a break from this project to see Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds perform live at the brilliant Ace Theater (an evening of Black Crow King didn't hurt in terms of inspiration), and ironically enough I just discovered a great bar in my area (Los Feliz / Silverlake) called 'The Thirsty Crow'...!

Here are some pictures of this project in progress. The un-finished scarecrow photos were just taken quickly today whilst glue was drying. You can see the final scene soon as I will blog about it here and upload images to my Tall Tales Facebook page here.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

these are brilliant, I love the expressions on the crows face

elizabeth s said...

Wow Caroline! Your pumpkin head is quite intimidating so "whad's up" with the crows being so unafraid? If I saw this guy standing in a cornfield, I would not be looking to sit on his arms EVEN if I were a crow! :))

elizabeth

Tabitha Corsica said...

Your crows remind me of Heckle and Jeckle. Those were two cartoon characters on a kids TV show when I was little. They are very cute!

Vic's Creations! said...

I love your crows! They have a lot of personality. Love that your scarecrow is so pleased with himself. His clothes are so twisted and interesting! Your work is genius!

Anonymous said...

A fascinating discussion is worth comment.
I do think that you need to publish more on this
issue, it might not be a taboo matter but typically people do not discuss these issues.

To the next! All the best!!

Feel free to visit my weblog: real estate flipping

Drora's minimundo said...


Great, Great work!
Hugs, Drora

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...