Monday 9 May 2016

Where Sunsets are Longer

Only my second witch of the year! Appalling, isn't it, but soon I'll share the client projects I've had this year and then you'll understand. ;)

This witch is the latest character for 'Good Witches Bad Witches', brought to you by Tall Tales Productions. She's a Russian witch.






Warning - I'm about to gush about a passionate love of Russian culture. Skip past the next paragraph if you're diabetic.

---
This Russian witch is second in importance only to my English witch. Most of you know I am an English girl currently residing in Los Angeles, but you didn't know I am also part Russian. I have always had an affinity for the culture. I studied Russian at school (and still believe it's the most attractive language), grew up listening to Red Army Choir, Borodin (The Polovtsian Dances is my favourite piece of music of all time),Tchaikovsky and Prokofiev. I've eaten blini with caviar, paskha and many other Russian dishes through life and celebrate St Nicholas' Day. Dr Zhivago is one of my 'desert island' films and I've always found Александр Годунов jaw-droppingly wonderful. (To digress further, my teenage crush was Андрей Подошьян). In short - I adore Russia and anything Russian. The poetry, the music, the ballet, the architecture, the balalaika.... everything.
---

I put a lot of thought and planning into this witch because even though I love Russian folklore and fairy tales, like all my other characters I want to carve out something of my own and not do an homage to Baba Yaga for example.
She wears a quilted shawl (with Kandinsky inspired design), a red silk scarf with bat motif, ushanka hat, bear skins (yeah, pretty sick), and pushes a pram (American English - 'baby cart' / 'stroller') full of Russian blue cats, which are her 'familiars' (witch's pets).

She's designed and sculpted in 1:12 scale by myself using clay over wire and other mixed media. Soon you'll be able to watch a video of me making her at the Tall Tales Productions YouTube Channel, but until then, here are some photos! PS The next witch will be Greek...


A little note to my Russian friends and fans...
Мои русские друзья, это послание для вас...

Если вы умеете читать на английском, то могли знать что я частично русская и абсолютно обожаю русскую культуру. Я настолько люблю все русское, что возможно даже я буду жить в России и заведу там семью вместо Англии! Я создаю персонажы в виде ведьм со всего мира для проекта "Хорошие ведьмы Плохие ведьмы" и я уже создала английскую ведьму, шотландскую, французскую, итальянскую и так далее, и сейчас я создала русскую. Это не Баба Яга, это мой собственный дизайн персонажа к моему собственному фильму который в процессе развития с Tall Tales Productions. Я сделала её руками, используя застывающийся клей и проволоку. Она может показаться немного пугающей, но я надеюсь вы воспримите её с хорошем чувством юмора. Спасибо огромное что проявляете интерес к моей работе, и если вы хотите видеть больше, то пожалуйста загляните на мою страничку в Facebook, Instagram и Twitter и VK, и так же я размещу видео как я делаю эту ведьмочку на моем YouTube канале очень скоро!
Спасибо вам!
Каролин МакФарлейн-Уотс. x










Blog post title quote - “But Sasha was from Russia, where the sunsets are longer, the dawns less sudden and sentences are often left unfinished from doubt as how to best end them.” 
― Virginia Woolf, Orlando

9 comments:

Whimcees said...

Hello!

She is so WONDERFUL - SO WONDERFUL! I also love so much about the Russian culture - as an 'insider' you have captured it beautifully with this witch! I love her! Congratulations on another perfect creation!

Please, please create a Danish witch next! :<)

Wishing you a happy week!

Hugs,

Barbara

Caroline McFarlane-Watts said...

Thanks so much Barbara! I am really glad you like her. I promise I will do a Danish witch at some point but I have already started on the Greek one... and then I was thinking of doing Sweden next! :)

Tabitha Corsica said...

Wonderful as usual, Caroline! Each of these gals are so unique. I love them all!

I am reminded a bit of the Santas by Jim Shore. Are you familiar with him? He started hand-carving wooden Santas which he then painted very colorfully. It was the beginning of a thriving commercial business for him as they are now produced in resin and can be found at posh gifts shops all over. I have a few.

There is also a line of "Kneaded Angels" originally made from a bread-dough clay but now also produced in resin. I was acquainted with the lady who made them as she frequented shows I attended. I think Enesco is producing these items and she is still designing.

Your creations could easily be adapted, I think.... if you want. It takes some work but can you imagine the returns!? And everyone could own a "Caroline"!

All the best!

Susan

Caroline McFarlane-Watts said...

Hi Susan, thank you for the compliments and the ideas! I haven't heard of those artists but will certainly look them up. I've thought about recreating my witches, making molds and then doing resin casts. Do you think people would want to paint them themselves or buy them already painted? That's a question! But it's certainly been on my mind and I am now more enthusiastic about this since you messaged me on this topic! Thanks. Always lovely to hear from you! C x

Tabitha Corsica said...

Caroline, here is a link to Pavilion which carries the angels. http://www.itsagirlyworld.com/kneededangels.html

The woman who designs them (and used to make them by hand) is called Carol Graziano. I have quite a few of her original annual signature pieces.

Here is Jim's site: http://jimshore.com/index.php/history-inspiration

I think people would prefer to buy them finished. Not everyone has the talent for painting.

Go for it! As my mother would say, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain!

Susan

Caroline McFarlane-Watts said...

Thanks so much - you're the best! :) C x

Anonymous said...

These are the companies I know of that carry reproductions of some of the artists I admire. Although I do prefer originals when possible ;)

https://www.escandcompany.com/

http://bethanylowe.com/

Caroline McFarlane-Watts said...

acornhousedesigns - Thanks so much!

Victoria said...

Tu blog me enamora!!!
Los trabajos realizados con tanta precisión y creatividad!!La difuminación de los colores y la vida que le dás!!

Gracias por compartir este grán blog
Con cariño Victoria

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...