Tuesday 24 March 2015

Refusing to be English


It's Tuesday, and so I have another witch for you. This one is Irish. As I sat down to shoot off this post before dashing out, a Winston Churchill quote sprang to mind.

"We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English."

Actually I love the Irish. I feel I ought to say this (and I do mean it) since the hideousness of my witch will doubtless inspire offence in some. Sorry - all my witches are going to look rather horrid. That's the point. You can see my English witch here.

I created her in the same scale (one inch), and same medium (clay over wire). I went for what I consider the typical Irish colouring - pale skin, green eyes and black hair. I believe the term used outside Ireland is 'black Irish.' (Reference) I did her dress in Irish tartan, but aside from that I tried not to make her too much of cliché.

I'd love to create another witch as part of my witch project and for Myrtle the Witch for next Tuesday, but I am popping back to Blighty in a few days and will be gone a fortnight, so it will just have to wait. See you soon, and enjoy looking at the work in progress photos below...!

---------
NOTE - I have since re-conceived the Irish witch since this post was written. Please see new Irish witch here.
---------



3 comments:

Whimcees said...

Hello!

You are so talented! I love seeing your new characters come to life! Wishing you a happy day!

Hugs,

Barbara Diane

Unknown said...

Very nice. I love your creations. I actually really loved her green dress before the tartan, but I think that's a preference thing, I've never been fond of plaid material created with clay...(That is a really strange aversion to have on my behalf).

Will you be doing different heads for your movie? Or multiples in different poses of your characters I suppose I should say.

I can't wait to see a teaser trailer. :D

Good luck, and safe travels my friend.

Caroline McFarlane-Watts said...

Thank you both!

Joni, that is a funny aversion! But honestly I appreciate feedback and hearing your views. :) Yes, I'll have to make different heads and posable puppet characters, but at this stage I am still building the world and designing the maquettes. Thanks! :) C x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...