Monday 14 September 2015

Moonstruck

Now that I've finished chasing white rabbits for the time being (Alice in Wonderland project here) I can resume work on 'Good Witches Bad Witches'. This project is in development as a book and a short film, so if you're interested in witches, miniatures and filmmaking you'll want to watch this space!

Today's witch is Italian. She's 'la strega Italiana.' She's about 5 3/4 inches tall. I drew a little inspiration from an '80s film called 'Moonstruck', in which the gorgeous Cher plays a big-haired Italian American. I loved making this witch's hair big like that, and even have a mouse nesting in it. Her familiar is a rat. I thought about classic Roman sculpture and design when I made her golden cauldron which has a gargoyle-esque face on it. The octopus climbing out and tangled in spaghetti is something I've had in my head for years and I'm glad I was finally able to put it to paper clay. See my sketch below and then photos of the 'making of' this witch and the final witch herself. You'll see fewer 'making of' photos this time as many more will make their way into a tutorial book instead.

---
Just a little word to my Italian friends...

Cari amici Italiani, vi presento…la strega Italiana! 
Lei fa parte del mio “ Streghe da tutto il mondo - Streghe buone, streghe cattive”, titolo del mio imminente libro per bambini e di un cortometraggio realizzato con miniature.
Proprio come le altre streghe, lei e’ uno stereotipo divertente e simpatico della cultura Italiana ( per carita’, non voglio offendere nessuno. Vi prego di prenderla nella maniera giusta).
E’ una mia creazione personale ed e’ alta circa 15cm.
Se siete interessati al progetto, potete trovare altre streghe sul mio blog e sito personale all’indirizzo seguente: www.tall-tales.com

In caso vogliate sostenere i miei progetti, siete pregati di farlo attraverso Facebook o Instagram usando il seguente link
---

Find out more about 'Good Witches Bad Witches' here at the Tall Tales Productions website.

Or click over to past blog posts about witches... 
English witch here
Scottish witch here
Welsh witch here,
Irish witch here,
French witch here,
German witch here


Follow the project on Instagram here and at Facebook here! Stay tuned for the next witch......!













In other news... since I last blogged I had a quick trip to Las Vegas and took some inspiration form the exciting and imaginative displays at The Bellagio. This is me with the new 'under the sea' lobby.










I also attended another fantastic screening at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery, hosted by Cinespia. 3,500 of us sat under the stars and watched Hitchcock's Psycho. LA - this is why I love you!




And before I forget, it's been so insanely hot here in LA and I found a great way to beat the heat is to make your own Strawberry Margaritas. Recipe below from MyRecipes.

Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups strawberries
2 1/2 cups crushed ice
1/2 cup tequila 
1/2 cup fresh lime juice 
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons Cointreau

Prep:
Combine strawberries, ice, tequila, lime juice, sugar, and liqueur in a blender, and process until the mixture is smooth. Pour the margaritas into 4 large glasses. Serve immediately

9 comments:

Bonnie Irvine said...

Oh, she is fabulous with her Cher hair and wonky hat. I love the look on her face! The cauldron and it's contents are amazing. I love your attention to detail. She is a delight...in a grumpy way :)

Laura said...

I love your work. And yes, I can see the Moonstruck resemblance! Great job! :)

Whimcees said...

Hello!

I love your new witch! You are so talented and have a most wonderful imagination! I read 'tutorial book' and became very excited and hopeful! Will this be made available to the public?

Wishing you a happy day! I am always happy to see your new creations! :<)

Hugs,

Barbara Diane

Caroline McFarlane-Watts said...

Hi Barbara Diane,
Thank you SO much!! Yes, it's a book I'm working on which will have some 'how tos' and lots of photos. If you stay tuned at my blog and FB page you'll know when it's available. Thanks again!
Warmest wishes, Caroline

Caroline McFarlane-Watts said...

Thanks so much Bonnie and Laura for your lovely comments!
Caroline xx

Betty said...

Incredible work!!!!

Drora's minimundo said...


How awesome! I love your mean witch! She looks as if inspired both by Cher and Bottero the famous Colombian sculptor. Great work!
Hugs, Drora

The JR said...

Another great witch. Lady, you are so talented. And very pretty too!

Have a wonderful weekend.
R from MS

Caroline McFarlane-Watts said...

Thank you JR! How flattering!! x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...